Surah 39. The Troops, Throngs
In the name of God, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful
53. Say: "O my Servants who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not
of the Mercy of Allah. for Allah forgives all sins: for He is Oft-Forgiving,
54. "Turn ye to our Lord (in repentance) and bow to His (Will), before the
Penalty comes on you: after that ye shall not be helped.
55. "And follow the best of (the courses) revealed to you from your Lord, before
the Penalty comes on you - of a sudden while ye perceive not!-
56. "Lest the soul should (then) say: 'Ah! Woe is me!- In that I neglected (my
duty) towards Allah, and was but among those who mocked!'-
57. "Or (lest) it should say: 'If only Allah had guided me, I should certainly
have been among the righteous!'-
58. "Or (lest) it should say when it (actually) sees the penalty: 'If only I had
another chance, I should certainly be among those who do good!'
59. "(The reply will be:) 'Nay, but there came to thee my Signs, and thou didst
reject them: thou wast Haughty, and became one of those who reject faith!'"
60. On the Day of Judgment wilt thou see those who told lies against Allah.-
their faces will be turned black; Is there not in Hell an abode for the Haughty?
61. But Allah will deliver the righteous to their place of salvation: no evil
shall touch them, nor shall they grieve.
62. Allah is the Creator of all things, and He is the Guardian and Disposer of
63. To Him belong the keys of the heavens and the earth: and those who reject
the Signs of Allah,- it is they who will be in loss.
64. Say: "Is it some one other than Allah that ye order me to worship, O ye
65. But it has already been revealed to thee,- as it was to those before thee,-
"If thou wert to join (gods with Allah., truly fruitless will be thy work (in
life), and thou wilt surely be in the ranks of those who lose (all spiritual
66. Nay, but worship Allah, and be of those who give thanks.
67. No just estimate have they made of Allah, such as is due to Him: On the Day
of Judgment the whole of the earth will be but His handful, and the heavens will
be rolled up in His right hand: Glory to Him! High is He above the Partners they
attribute to Him!
68. The Trumpet will (just) be sounded, when all that are in the heavens and on
earth will swoon, except such as it will please Allah (to exempt). Then will a
second one be sounded, when, behold, they will be standing and looking on!
69. And the Earth will shine with the Glory of its Lord: the Record (of Deeds)
will be placed (open); the prophets and the witnesses will be brought forward
and a just decision pronounced between them; and they will not be wronged (in
70. And to every soul will be paid in full (the fruit) of its Deeds; and
((Allah)) knoweth best all that they do.
71. The Unbelievers will be led to Hell in crowd: until, when they arrive,
there, its gates will be opened. And its keepers will say, "Did not apostles
come to you from among yourselves, rehearsing to you the Signs of your Lord, and
warning you of the Meeting of This Day of yours?" The answer will be: "True: but
the Decree of Punishment has been proved true against the Unbelievers!"
72. (To them) will be said: "Enter ye the gates of Hell, to dwell therein: and
evil is (this) Abode of the Arrogant!"
73. And those who feared their Lord will be led to the Garden in crowds: until
behold, they arrive there; its gates will be opened; and its keepers will say:
"Peace be upon you! well have ye done! enter ye here, to dwell therein."
74. They will say: "Praise be to Allah, Who has truly fulfilled His Promise to
us, and has given us (this) land in heritage: We can dwell in the Garden as we
will: how excellent a reward for those who work (righteousness)!"
75. And thou wilt see the angels surrounding the Throne (Divine) on all sides,
singing Glory and Praise to their Lord. The Decision between them (at Judgment)
will be in (perfect) justice, and the cry (on all sides) will be, "Praise be to
Allah, the Lord of the Worlds!
Translation by Abdullah Yusufali